Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Any stargazers?

Go down 
+3
ArrJudd
slicer
GGSS
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Does anyone have an interest in astronomy?
I'm looking at buying a telescope and could do with some experienced advice.
Back to top Go down
slicer
slicer

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 1:40 pm

You might be interested in this.

Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I am, sort of. I have a half decent beginner scope but like many have hardly found time to get out with it. I've been to the observatory in Wynyard a few times but been dissapointed each time. I am hoping to get my scope out on the drive some time over the next week.

How much do you want to spend?
Back to top Go down
edradour
edradour

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Bit of a way but Toy Shop High Street, Norhtallerton as a good collection inside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcar.org
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone.
I'll have a look at Grovers, they do some second-hand stuff as well but I doubt if they'll be open - unless they are still doing sales online.

I'm keeping the  price below a grand but I know I'll get something that will more than meet my expectations for much less than that.

I've been looking at Celestron but the feedback for quality and customer service isn't very good.
Skywatcher look OK but I'm trying to avoid a Chinese one.
Meade looks good but the customer care seems to let them down too.
GStar is a German make but doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback.

I'm not sure whether to get a "GoTo" or to spend the money on a bigger manual one.
This looks good:- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What have you got AJ?
Back to top Go down
Sydroth

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi my hubby is very interested in astronomy and does have a couple of telescopes. |He has unfortunately forgotten his password so at present cannot access the forum, He is fairly knowledgeable about it too. If you would like to email him you could have a chat or do you use Facebook?
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 9:14 pm

I'll email him if you can give me the info on PM.
Back to top Go down
Sydroth

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 9:21 pm

Will do. When I remember how to PM.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 10:07 pm

I have a Skywatcher that costs a little over £200. It is very good to look at the moon and planets, but I've not got beyond that. Once we return to normal I recommend a visit to the observatory in Wynyard. They are very helpfull there. The only problem is getting there on a clear night.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Using a telescope is a bit like flying a drone- you need the right conditions.
I got a drone a couple of years ago but have only managed to fly it about a dozen times because of the wind and rain.
I hope the telescope will get a bit more use than that.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 10:43 am

I was in the garden last night with my daughter at 11pm and then 1am looking for meteors. We didn't see any. It was a great night for the telescope though. We are going to prepare properly for tonight. Moving the scope from my bedroom and setting it up is a task in itself, so I only do it when the conditions are good.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 12:56 pm

My son lives in Ireland and is out in the sticks so has very little light pollution. He sat outside his back door last night and said the sky was clear and he could see the colours of the stars just with his naked eyes.
This is the current front-runner for me:

This is also in the running:
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 11:53 pm

Here's one for you GG .

Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 12:47 am

Thank you A1. I use Sky Safari but hadn't seen anything about Swan. I'll definitely watch for it now - but only with binoculars as I still haven't decided on a 'scope yet.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 12:59 am

The red skywatcher looks like the same scope as my'n but with the auto search option.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Are you pleased with the results you get with it?
Is it reasonably easy to set up and use?
Being a 6" is it very heavy?
Would it be OK to use with a camera?
The other one is a 5" so a bit less light collection but it seems to have most of the stuff I'd need.
Are you thinking about getting any extras for yours?
I emailed the company and asked if they would do a deal on either of the two plus a 7amp Skywatcher power tank battery but haven't had a reply yet.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 11:21 pm

It gets good results, but much of it is down to imagination or understanding. Nothing is really colourful or incredible to the eye other than the planets, but you see things that you can't otherwise see. I would be exagerating to say I know my way round the sky at all, so that makes it trickie. I am currently trying to resurect an old netbook so that I can load software onto to it to take it out with me so that I can find my way around the sky.

The scope itself is quite combersome, or at least the tripod is. It's not something I can just set up on a whim for a few minutes.

I think many people buy them with good intensions but never master them, have them gather dust and then sell them. I'm not far off that myself, but I'll keep at it. That is also why I bought second hand so as not to waste too much on it.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm

I was thinking the same thing - do I want to sit for an hour just to see some blurry dots?
From what I've read, all you need is a clear sky and a decent pair of binoculars.
I'm still pondering that one...
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 1:01 pm

I've heard that said about binoculars but doubt it. Even with a decent telescope and big tripod I get some judder and movement, and even with the fine adjustments it is hard for me as a total novice to locate things. Other than looking at the moon and maybe very bright planets I can't imagine having much success with binoculars. I managed to set my netbook up last night, so hope to have more success soon.

My advice would be to wait until after the lock down and visit a local observatory. To me a lot of viewing is of blobs of light and pin pricks that are distant galaxy's and stars. It is interesting and mind bending but not an actual visual treat. Venus is incredibly bright in the sky at the minute but it is still not that much to look at through a scope.

Try downloading the software 'Stellarium' for an idea of the night sky. It's free.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 5:01 pm

I've got Sky Safari and Stellarium. Sky safari is compatible with most GoTo 'scopes.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Has anyone managed to see any of the 30 meteors an hour that were predicted for this week?
I looked out last night but didn't see any.
Back to top Go down
slicer
slicer

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Friend of mine in New Marske posted this:

yongesisland likes this post

Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Wow! That's quite an achievement.
They enter Earth's atmosphere at 150,000 mph.
Can you ask him which direction was he looking in and how high above the horizon?
Back to top Go down
GGSS

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

AR: Is your's a reflector or a refractor?
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Now this is proper stargazing.
Mind you I lost it at dark matter !

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Any stargazers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any stargazers?   Any stargazers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any stargazers?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Home and Lifestyle :: Interests & Hobbies-