Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Bitten by the cricket bug.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

Bitten by the cricket bug. Empty
PostSubject: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 3:41 pm

After spending my whole life thinking cricket was a boring and ridiculous game I have finally been drawn into it. I watched the world cup final and thought it was the most exciting sporting event I've possibly ever seen! Then I started watching the Ashes for the first time ever and it is also very exciting. I realise this is not normal though. Anyway, I now fancy watching some cricket locally. I like the idea of spending a few hours drinking beer in the sun whilst watching a match. I am going to try to make it to Redcar cricket club to give it a go. Obviously it will be a far cry from the ashes or the world cup, but I will see. I just wondered if you all have any experience of this or can make any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 7:33 pm

So, I went to Saltburn for the cricket. It was most enjoyable. A quite sunny day with plenty to drink, always helps.
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am

Good stuff Redcar, Marske and Saltburn are all good little grounds with good viewing next to the bar. Or at least they used to be 10 years ago.
I have been to the Ageas bowl a few times, Mrs Redpete has treated me to a stay in the Hilton which is in the ground and if you book the room on the cricket side you can sit on your balcony and watch the match as long as its not rained off ! doh
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 11:10 am

There are so many small cricket grounds close by. Marske, Saltburn, Redcar, Guisbrough, Great Ayton, and probably others. I'm annoyed that I've got into it late in the season, and a bit late in life too. Something for next summer though.

I had to Google Ageas bowl as I'd never heard of it. Looks nice.
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 5:21 pm

We dont have the same local league infrastructure down here our local team basically play in the park with no real facilities.I do sit and watch sometimes if I take Molly for a walk but as you say having a pint and a chat is what it's all about.

The Ageas Bowl is a nice ground but unfortunately not in the best location, there is only 1 road in and out so if its a big game the traffic is horrendous.

Cricket is one of those games you can dip in and out or watch every second.I have loved it from being a small boy, the game last game at Headingley reminded me of the 81 test, botham's ashes and all that.

My mates at school were all big cricket fans and after the first couple of days and with the expected defeat we managed to persuade one of the dads to take us to Great Ayton were we camped in a field just below Captains Cook's monument, it wasn't till the next day after buying a newspaper did we read about Bothams heroics and managed to get score updates from a guy who was parked in a car.
I was only 14 and we camped there 4 nights without any phones or parents checking on us.
If that happened now we would be taken into care ha.

Do you listen to test match special on Radio 5 live?
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 pm

I was 9 during the 81 Botham ashes. I had no interest at all at the time, and wasn't even aware of it until the last month or so.

I never listen to Radio 5. When is it on?
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 am

Its Radio 5 live Arrjudd or Radio 4 and on the BBC website during the test matches,or big games.its radio commentary for the cricket, its rather legendary and much better than listening to the sky commentary.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 4:56 pm

I'm disappointed that there is only limited terrestrial TV coverage. I've had to avoid the coverage all day so that i can watch the round up on channel 5.
Back to top Go down
dozza
dozza

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 6:34 am

The bbc use to cover all the England home tests when I was a lad
Something that might amuse you, when England won the world cup I was in zetland park with the granddaughter and missed it, when ben stokes won the last test for England I missed that too because I was down the front with the granddaughter.....it didn't help that I was following the scores on me phone
Back to top Go down
GGSS

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 pm

It's one of those games that are much more interesting to play than to watch but once you've played you understand the nuances more and appreciate the commentator's descriptions more.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 am

I watched a bit of test cricket the other day and again enjoyed it. It's the ideal sport to watch whilst reclining in the front room with a cuppa.
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Arrjudd you did say you were looking for somewhere to sit and get a drink, have you considered the local cricket grounds, Marske had a nice outside sitting area.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 12:31 am

Not this year. I went to Saltburn a couple of times last year. Is cricket back on locally yet?
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 9:44 am

They were playing in our local park yesterday.
Back to top Go down
ArrJudd
ArrJudd

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 11:39 am

That's a bit too far for a ride and a pint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitten by the cricket bug.   Bitten by the cricket bug. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitten by the cricket bug.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Local Topics :: What's On-
Jump to: