Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?

Go down 
+31
George Sand
pen5
Copey
joelh.connie
redpete
YIDDO
slicer
borofan45
WTR
johnr
severs
lukehib
benstack
ogbad
auguste1
nickymb
JohnP
GGSS
edradour
glide
reedkerr
seversatwork
Almack
Kalliopi
martythesparky
Spog
ff
Peter Goodwin
Jen
where's the remote
Bollocks!
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next
AuthorMessage
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 am

"I thought air pollution and climate change were linked PG."

They are, though these measures are more about the health impacts.  But does this mean you've finally recognised that man made pollution causes climate change?

"Get rid of cars and have lots of horses farting CO2"

I think you mean cows and methane, but even us rabid greens aren't commending bullock-carts for the daily commute and the weekly shop.  What about animal rights?

"Then if we go electric we have the problem of peculiar and highly dangerous metals used in batteries and the CO2 used in transiting them all around the world. "

Sort of true, though you could say the same, and worse, about carbon fuels. And resource wars possible either way...  maybe electrics have the advantage on that, because they have far less impact on climate change.  Or we could usefully travel less....  it might actually improve quality of life.

"I have said all along that the only way the Green Lobby will be happy is if we revert to the 14th Century and cull 75% of the World's population"

You may say it, but it might be more credible if you could offer a shred of evidence for such a drastic policy.   But it's true, (as the 'this country's full up' brigade like to suggest) we're hard-pressed to provide a decent life for the present population levels in a finite planet.   OK, I realise that you may not agree with that  smile
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 1:07 am

Ah! I think you see the light Peter ( pun intended )
We can't do without fossil fuels for the forseeable future and must get on with it unless we revert to a lifestyle which no one now alive will embrace. ( Unless your name is Swampy and you live up a tree )
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Another reason not to drive an electric car ( posh milk float )
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 pm

I forgot that some of the readers may not know of Swampy. I apologise.
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Did someone poke PG with a stick? wink
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 am

Another reason not to drive an electric car ( posh milk float )

Another reason to ask why a newspaper publishes a particular story. The Mail's not known for its concern about child exploitation in lands of which we know little.

The principle's good, though. Always ask before buying something what your purchase means 'upstream'.

I won't be buying an electric car. Mind, I haven't had a car since my own was nicked and discovered next morning burned out on Saltburn beach. I might be tempted by an electric bike, though. The hills here get steeper every trip frown
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I see the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] " ‘EXPOSED: How world leaders were duped over global warming’".

You may remember, there was some controversy on this board at the time about its truth, indeed, it was immediately discredited. Pity the IPSO took so much longer.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Don't lose any sleep over it Peter. I'm sure another story will be along shortly.
Back to top Go down
slicer
slicer

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 pm

He doesn't exist Slicer and in any case his musings are about as funny as Russell Brand and rickets.
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm

auguste1 wrote:
I'm sure another story will be along shortly.

Agreed. David Rose has form.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Confused about Global Warming ?
Not as much as the experts apparently.
Says we could just carry on as we are and meet all targets.

This one tells us there was a hiatus in Global Warming. But perhaps not.

And this one says it is getting hotter but this was " helped " by El Nino.
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 19, 2017 9:49 am

a1, you can't believe a thing the 'experts' say, just chill out and take what's coming as we always have! beerslide
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 pm

auguste1 wrote:
Confused about Global Warming ?
Not as much as the experts apparently.
Says we could just carry on as we are and meet all targets.

No it doesn't. It is actually quicker to read the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] itself than that article. Here is a key passage:

Quote :
Assuming emissions peak and decline to below current levels by 2030, and continue thereafter on a much steeper decline, which would be historically unprecedented but consistent with a standard ambitious mitigation scenario (RCP2.6), results in a likely range of peak warming of 1.2–2.0 °C above the mid-nineteenth century. If CO2 emissions are continuously adjusted over time to limit 2100 warming to 1.5 °C, with ambitious non-CO2 mitigation, net future cumulative CO2 emissions are unlikely to prove less than 250 GtC and unlikely greater than 540 GtC. Hence, limiting warming to 1.5 °C is not yet a geophysical impossibility, but is likely to require delivery on strengthened pledges for 2030 followed by challengingly deep and rapid mitigation.

In other words it might be possible to limit 2100 warming to 1.5 °C if we reduce emissions more drastically than we are attempting to do at the moment. The problem is that people like you and your pal in the White House are arguing that we don't need to do this.
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 1:17 pm

auguste1 wrote:
This one tells us there was a hiatus in Global Warming. But perhaps not.

No it doesn't. Did you even bother to read it? It's not a bad article actually.
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm

auguste1 wrote:
And this one says it is getting hotter but this was " helped " by El Nino.

El Nino years are hotter, La Nina years are cooler. Both El Nino years and La Nina years are getting hotter on average. See? It's not that difficult to understand.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Nice to see I've found some articles you agree with Spog.
Despite your reading of them I stand by my comments and I actually did take the time to read them. Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder ( to paraphrase a well known saying )
I think I may go back to the Daily Mail though as I find it more to my liking ( that and it seems to really annoy you for some reason ! )
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 pm

I showed that your comment on the first article can't be defended.

Your comment on the hiatus is a bit ambiguous, but the whole point of the article was that there was no hiatus in any real sense.

Your comment on El Nino makes no sense as 'getting hotter' is a process whereas El Nino is a short term effect, so how can El Nino help that? Of course, you used quote marks to imply (I assume) that you don't think that it is getting hotter but it is just the effect of El Nino that we are seeing. As I said, the counter argument to that is that there is an upward trend to temperatures in El Nino years. Furthermore you can't simultaneously use the argument that El Nino years should be discounted because they are warmer than usual and in the next breath imply that there was any sort of hiatus starting in 1998, given that 1998 is a deliberately cherry-picked start date that was a particularly strong El Nino! (I predict we'll see more claims of hiatuses over the next few years, but starting from 2016 this time and ignoring the fact that average temperatures will have ratcheted up compared with previous decades.)

In summary, I'm not sure how you can stand by your comments if you had understood anything that you had read.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Obviously your interpretaion of the articles is different to mine Spog. With the Daily Mail at least we know that no interpretation is needed as it is tightly written and well researched.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 12:18 am

That has to be a wind-up!   A very convenient avoidance technique, too.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 am

Are the articles in the Mail open to interpretation or not Peter ?
I believe they are tightly written and well researched.
Not everyone knows how to write in a manner which leaves the reader in no doubt as to what is being espoused on the written word in front of you.
Back to top Go down
slicer
slicer

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 am

Yaaaaaawwwwwn
Back to top Go down
pen5
pen5

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

"Oh what a tangled web we weave ..."
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 pm

auguste1 wrote:
Are the articles in the Mail open to interpretation or not Peter ?
As I have pointed out on numerous occasions, they suffer from fundamental flaws. These aren't matters of opinion but errors or lies that are obvious to anyone who takes only a small amount of time to understand. In that sense, they are open to interpretation in that they are written in such a way to convince lazy and/or stupid people, but the only sensible interpretation of them is that they are a pile of crap.  (Whenever I have pointed out these errors, you have never been able to respond directly but have used - as Peter says - avoidance tactics.)

auguste1 wrote:
I believe they are tightly written and well researched.
See above.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm

It must be awful to be certain that you are right and be unable to convince a large percentage of the population of your certainty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?
Page 31 of 43Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Debating Chamber :: Current Affairs-
Jump to: