Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?

Go down 
+31
George Sand
pen5
Copey
joelh.connie
redpete
YIDDO
slicer
borofan45
WTR
johnr
severs
lukehib
benstack
ogbad
auguste1
nickymb
JohnP
GGSS
edradour
glide
reedkerr
seversatwork
Almack
Kalliopi
martythesparky
Spog
ff
Peter Goodwin
Jen
where's the remote
Bollocks!
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32 ... 43  Next
AuthorMessage
GGSS

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Is this a con or is it workable? It sounds as though it works on the same principle as wave power...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 10:07 pm

It seems to be a genuine company and the principle it is based on (vortex shedding) seems plausible but it sounds like it is early days in its development. The story appears on a number of news, technology and business sites. It looks like the company has made a concerted effort to generate some interest in advance of a crowdfunding effort next month.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:38 am

Time to move uphill.....
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:47 am

Good job we got the new sea wall !
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 9:56 am

Took you a long time to find that one, Peter! smile
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 12:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a more recent story about the collapse of the Larsen B ice shelf in Antarctica.
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Quote :
'The collapse of the Larsen B Ice Shelf was captured in this series of images from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite between January 31 and April 13, 2002.'

Wasn't that about the time our 'revered' climatologists from the '70s claimed that we'd be entering the new ice age? Turn of the century?

More like 'guessologists', 'alarmologists', etc., etc.
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Oops - I posted an even older story than Peter. This was the one I meant:

FF wrote:
Wasn't that about the time our 'revered' climatologists from the '70s claimed that we'd be entering the new ice age? Turn of the century?

How many times have I answered him on this one now?
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Never to my satisfaction!

I was there and the scaremongering was scarily like today's bullshit. sad sigh

This lad's not for turning.....
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

"I was there" is not an argument unless you were actively keeping up with the research and not just getting your information from the media.  Given that you don't even manage to do that now, with the internet at your disposal, I am highly sceptical that you would have been better at it in the 1970s.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from that period show conclusively that although there were a significant number of papers discussing a potential ice age, they were in the minority; nevertheless, this was the research that tended to get reported in the media.  

Your argument boils down to: "they were wrong then so they must be wrong now". The problem with this argument is that:

(i) It is a rubbish argument in general. Why must one imply the other?

(ii) It particularly doesn't make sense in a scientific field, given that science is explicitly about the acquisition of knowledge and over forty years has elapsed between then and now.

(iii) As noted above, it wasn't that they were all 'wrong' anyway. Certainly, there was more uncertainty but that is covered by the previous point. And even the proposition that we could be headed into an ice age was not implausible given the knowledge at the time. Strictly speaking, we are in an interglacial period - the clue is in the name! The uncertainty in the 1970s was whether the natural forcings that drive glaciation are greater than the forcings from increased greenhouse gases.
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm

You don't get it, do you?

THE MIILLENIUM ICE-AGE HASN'T HAPPENED!

Or did I miss it?
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 5:12 pm

What don't I 'get' that I haven't addressed already?
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Incidentally, if you are going to continue to assert that a 'millenium ice age' was indeed the prevailing view in the 1970s, you will be able to provide us with lots of citations to that effect. I look forward to seeing them.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 pm

It must be true. The Pope has said so...
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I wonder what Jen thinks of that. I can just picture the red face and smoke coming out of the ears.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Wish El Nino would kick in so I can turn the central heating off. Hottest June since records began they said at the end of last month. So much for the Met Office , leaders in the Global Warming lobby.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Come off it, a1. Global warming is what it says on the tin - GLOBAL warming. Not Redcar warming.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 12:26 am

Redcar is not part of the Global Warming thing then ? All that money wasted on the new sea wall. Ah well back to the radiator to warm up.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 pm

I wonder if the rising sea levels are the reason why the proposed  (done deal?) turbines at Yearby will be 460 ft high?

There was a meeting in the farm in Yearby to discuss the proposal recently but I was not aware of it until after the event. It was well attended from what I have heard.

If anyone hears of any event associated with this proposal I would appreciate it if you would let me know in advance as I would like to register my protest in any way that I can. I will happily lie on the track to prevent the JCB's getting to the site if I have to.

The term "over my dead body" applies here!

Back to top Go down
slicer
slicer

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I was at meeting GGSS and posted on linked thread.

I think, from what was said, the continuing tenancy of the airfield is paramount to a successful outcome, the fact that this will continue until planning permission is granted is in favour of the protest. I don't think the Planning Committee could take into account what may happen post decision.

I can see them appealing and it will go to the Planning Inspector, this could be a problem o

However, the position of Government on suitability of turbines near dwellings seems to have softened, hopefully they will see sense.

I thought I had posted on the pages several months ago on the subject, maybe not.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 pm

You probably did - but I must have missed it.
Back to top Go down
GGSS

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Where has all the water gone?
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 6:00 pm

The sea presumably.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 pm

I'd not realised before the massive part that drought, attributed to climate change, has played in creating turmoil in the middle East and Africa - and the flood of refugees from it. For instance, how years of drought around Homs forced many from the countryside into the city - leading in turn to appalling poverty, social upheaval and the uprising against the Syrian regime. And the rise of Isis.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 pm

That's a bit of a leap isn't it Peter ?
Nothing there about greed and the desire for power over people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?
Page 22 of 43Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32 ... 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Debating Chamber :: Current Affairs-
Jump to: