Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?

Go down 
+31
George Sand
pen5
Copey
joelh.connie
redpete
YIDDO
slicer
borofan45
WTR
johnr
severs
lukehib
benstack
ogbad
auguste1
nickymb
JohnP
GGSS
edradour
glide
reedkerr
seversatwork
Almack
Kalliopi
martythesparky
Spog
ff
Peter Goodwin
Jen
where's the remote
Bollocks!
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next
AuthorMessage
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 am

A1: Volcanoes we can't do much about, though so far as I know they're not getting any more frequent. But cow farts? Has it occurred to you that this too is part of anthropogenic climate change. World cattle numbers increase only because of changing consumer demand, and it's not only what comes out of the front and back ends of the cows that contributes to change; it's the clearance of land for ranching or for growing cattle feed, taking away the carbon stores (forests) that were there before. Doesn't do much for people who can't afford beef, either - the cattle are in competition with the poor for the staple foods, and that drives up prices.

In other words, cows don't fart by accident! You have a role in making them do it!
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 12:28 am

Quote :
Back to the middle ages then Peter. We all live on what we can grow and rear.

Who would want such an unequal society - the rich living off the fat of the land and the poor scratching a living (if that) to provide for the rich, and when required dying to defend their privileges. Couldn't happen in the 21st century.... smile

But yes, we all live on what we can grow and rear (and make, of course - you missed that one). Can you suggest another way?
Sorry, but the rest of your comment is complete tosh, the kind of abuse that some people fall back on when they have nothing constructive to say.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 am

So not only are we living in abject poverty in roundhouses but we are forbidden to eat meat. What a wonderful future we have in store.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 12:53 am

What I am saying - not what you grossly misrepresent - is that the world's population cannot all have a diet rich in the meat of ruminants. How you distribute what's available is a political (and ethical) decision.

I'm also still optimistic enough to think that mankind is bright enough to recognise the reality of climate change and its consequences, and use human inventiveness and ingenuity to find sustainable ways of providing fairly for all - including future generations.

Of course the weakness of that argument is that not all of mankind is bright enough. Obviously.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 am

Why do I get the feeling that I am not being classed in the " bright enough " category ?
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Take great store in PG's tips; they are unrefutable according to what he's read!

We believe what we want and he'll go on believing his dismal world. Funny how what he reads is gospel but our reading isn't?
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 6:57 pm

FF wrote:
We believe what we want

And therein lies the problem. You believe what you want irrespective of the evidence.

I came across this quote from Isaac Asimov the other day which sums it up:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 pm

I think his occupation sums it all up. Writer of Science FICTION.
Nice quote but he was a story teller after all and as such had a way with words.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Perhaps it was wrong for me to say the prospects of tackling climate change are made worse by those 'not bright enough' to recognise and respond to the problem.

I think it's more about human psychology – in particular what's called 'cognitive disonnance', and we're all subject to that. It's where someone faces two perfectly credible realities, or life views, but they're in conflict – so one of them has to go so life gets back its equilibrium.

For me, say, given the views I've held for most of my life about the need to live within the planet's means, and to share out fairly what we have, the evidence for anthropogenic climate change fits in well..... so no conflict

But for anyone, say, whose life pattern depends on our continuing to burn a high level of fossil fuel, to actually recognise its role in causing climate change and all its knock-on damages would create a huge conflict. So one of them has to go, and all too often it's the evidence of climate change that's denied.
….....................................

Incidentally, given the posts above about methane and meat eating, there has been a report today (example [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) about how climate change can't be fully tackled without cutting the consumption of beef, lamb and goat – and the milk/cheese that they produce.

B*gger! That word cheese is giving me a spot of cognitive dissonance.....
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 pm

" cognitive dissonance " ( Spell checker accepted it so it must exist ) Bet that's a first for this Forum.
I have no such problem because I only have the one reality.
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 pm

Peter, you and I are mere specks of dust in the universe; do you really think either one of us could make a difference?

Or a billion?thinking

Why worry? Life's far too short.....
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 am

FF: Actually, I do enjoy life, very much! So, for instance, I look both ways before I cross the road, and wait till it's clear. Even if the delay does inconvenience me a bit!

Life may be short, but I don't plan to make mine shorter still. Likewise, I don't want my behaviour to mess up other peoples' enjoyment of their lives. I dare say you feel the same?
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:22 am

Quote :
I have no such problem because I only have the one reality.
QED
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 am

Quote :
I don't want my behaviour to mess up other peoples' enjoyment of their lives.

What I do certainly does not impact on others. My house is fully insulated including a stupid so-called condensing eco-boiler (biggest mistake I ever made!) But my life is so miniscule, it wouldn't impact on you anyway!

This is more like it:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Up to their lying tricks yet again....
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 1:12 pm

FF wrote:
Funny how what he reads is gospel but our reading isn't?

FF wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Funny that isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Spog
Spog

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 pm

BTW, did you hear that that moron Delingpole got booted out of the Daily Telegraph. Maybe he became too much of an embarrassment even for them. Amongst his departing words were

Quote :
Thanks for your technical expertise and advice (it prevented anyone ever noticing that I'm an English graduate and know NOTHING about science apart from, maybe, how to grow copper sulphate crystals)

Actually Jim, some of us did notice...
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 pm

As Isaac Asimov once said " you've just stood on my foot ".
He obviously said a lot of other things but I'm sure that he would have said that as well !
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 1:37 pm

I believe the phrase is " It's all kicking off now "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597907/Green-smear-campaign-against-professor-dared-disown-sexed-UN-climate-dossier.html
Back to top Go down
ff

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Daily Mail wrote:
Mr Ward – neither an economist nor a climate expert – claimed on the institute’s website that he was waging ‘an ongoing struggle’ to force Prof Tol to correct ‘errors’ in his work.

He denied his actions were a smear campaign, insisting he was merely fulfilling his role as an IPCC reviewer

Hmmmm! thinking

An unskilled reviewer, eh?  doh 
Back to top Go down
where's the remote
where's the remote

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Another of Jim Al-Khalili's excellent "The Life Scientific" broadcasts today. This time his guest was the chief scientist at the Met Office, dismissed by Lord Lawson (after she suggested that climate change 'almost certainly' lies behind recent torrential rains and violent storms) as "this Julia Slingo woman, who made this absurd statement".
The interview is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
where's the remote
where's the remote

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am

Selective as usual. Not that he'll read this as I am on the blocked list for not agreeing with his crackpot left wing babble.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 pm

I must have missed something. Who is "he", Auguste1 ? Can you block particular posters? And anyway, don't you expect cartoons making a telling point to be selective? If you want the whole case put, read the IPPC reports.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for the explanatory PM.

Apart from that, I don't quite see what the probability of climate change has to do far left or far right political views. Far sighted, more like!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?
Page 17 of 43Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 30 ... 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Debating Chamber :: Current Affairs-
Jump to: