Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?

Go down 
+31
George Sand
pen5
Copey
joelh.connie
redpete
YIDDO
slicer
borofan45
WTR
johnr
severs
lukehib
benstack
ogbad
auguste1
nickymb
JohnP
GGSS
edradour
glide
reedkerr
seversatwork
Almack
Kalliopi
martythesparky
Spog
ff
Peter Goodwin
Jen
where's the remote
Bollocks!
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
AuthorMessage
auguste1
auguste1

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 am

Disturbing is exactly the right word for Greta Peter.
I think there's just too much going on at the moment for the General Public to be remotely interested in tree hugging and eating lentils in a mud hut.
As an aside I have noticed that recently the wind power production has often been down in single figures and coal fired power stations have been providing between 2 % and 6% of our power to make up the difference.
Back to top Go down
edradour
edradour

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 12:43 am

APRIL to January 2021

Quite honestly A1 IMHO when Wales went the same way as Scotland I told myself they have blown a gasket. I knew one thing, that their finances they would get could not pay their way, and services would suffer immensely. Of course it was the Governments fault that the hospitals are in a shocking state. Now flood defences, again short on money. Government to blame. Of course looks like its someone else to blame. They have no money.
“In the long term, maintaining and increasing flood defences would not only be costly but would also lead to increased risk to life should the defences fail.” HOW ODD THAT RISK TO LIFE ONCE AGAIN COMES LAST in the statement.

Back to top Go down
http://www.redcar.org
Kalliopi
Admin
Kalliopi

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Peter Goodwin wrote:
Has anyone on here watched "I am Greta", screened by the BBC a couple of weeks ago?   I've just caught up with it on iPlayer.  Found it moving, challenging, disturbing in equal measure. Recommended viewing.

Amid the gloom, it'll be wonderful to see the new USA rejoin the Paris accords later this week. thumbup

I haven't yet, but intend to do so yes Not sure what tree hugging and eating lentils in a mud hut has to do with global warming, but that's a1 for you, if it's a joke it went right over my head. rolleyes

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those that matter don't mind. And those that mind don't matter.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 pm

Haven't you been following this thread Kalli ?

Peter and his mates want us to live as we did in the 13th and 14th Century with no modern conveniences to stop Global Warming.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 am

a1 wrote:
Disturbing is exactly the right word for Greta

You might think so, a1, though you don't explain.   I'd used the word to describe the film, not the girl.

We most of us have defences that help us avoid admitting, even to ourselves, just how bad things are, but I suspect that Greta Thunberg's Aspergers condition means she doesn't have that luxury.   So she reads the science, sees the truth, knows how important it is, and she tells us - and she doesn't mince her words. No wonder she makes people uncomfortable.

Kalliopi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 am

a1 wrote:
Peter and his mates want us to live as we did in the 13th and 14th Century with no modern conveniences

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].   (Wikipedia on defence mechanisms).  See also Cognitive dissonance and denial.

And next time, don't forget the muesli and the sandals, a1
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 12:37 am

Cat litter and desert wellies Pete !
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 pm

How the Left want to decarbonise the Country

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 pm

I know that Peter and his green mates want us to go back in time and live off the land , but if we do it will probably harm the environment even more !

Back to top Go down
edradour
edradour

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 11:58 pm

A1- Oh dear. Now there is a problem. Quite a few houses have them installed now. Looks like a gaping hole in some peoples houses. I would have loved one, but saw this coming 2 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcar.org
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 am

Hard to know where to start with that, a1.   Par for the course for the Mail, I suppose.

Quote :
Peter and his green mates want us to go back in time and live off the land  

Go back?  So far as I know, we still live off the land.   At least until all the food we eat is produced in bio-labs.  Though I suppose Quorn comes close to that, And 'meat' can be grown as a culture without an animal intermediary.  

But as for the Mail piece, it seems to be getting more at those who run wood burning stoves (and maybe can't afford to convert to something better)  far more than the Greens - and Edradour - who realised long since that it's not sustainable.   I hope they'll be phased out soon, and gas boilers will go the same way.

Still, the Mail journalists must know that the government actively encourages wood-burning on a far greater scale than happens in domestic stoves.  I have Drax in mind – virgin forest timber is clear-felled in the USA, chipped, freighted to the UK, and burned at Drax under a lenient tax regime that classes the whole process as 'renewable' energy .   Are they still the country's biggest single emitter of CO2? I don't think they have to report their particulate emissions, either.   Let me know when you spot that story in the Mail.

I can only guess that the Mail's trying to keep their motorist readers on board by making them feel guilt-free by comparison with the hated 'liberal elite' who probably not only burn wood but have electric cars too.
Back to top Go down
YIDDO

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 11:26 am

Surprised you missed out Teesport Power Station thats going to burn 1,000,000 tons p.a. of Wood Pellets.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Yiddo.   Is it still going ahead ? It's hard to find any recent reports from here

On Vimeo, there's a very powerful half-hour film about biomass  burning, especially US forest clearance and the trade with Europe.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Here it is Peter

Peter Goodwin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 am

Like Drax, then, it's getting its feedstock from the forests of North America. Enviva, one of the companies featured in the video I mentioned, have the fuel supply contract. Presumably they also provide Americans with some of the 300 supply chain jobs mentioned in the Gazette.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 12:15 am

The good thing is that it gets rid of pine trees so we can use the space to graze cattle !
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 am

a1, you are the Bolsanaro of the Redcar Forum.
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2021 12:38 am

I'll take that as a compliment !
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

I listened to Talk Radio today and dropped in on some eco warrior who has left the more militant side of the movement.
She was hugely in favour of green electricity but admitted that it was intermittent and there had to be a back up plan to smooth out the lumps.
That back up plan had to be nuclear energy despite it's bad press and the huge problems with waste and safety.
She also stated some things which the more militant side of the movement never acknowledge.
To use solar power to power a city the size of Los Angeles would require solar panels to cover the same area as the area of the city and couldn't cope once the sun went down.
That would require super size batteries , which don't actually exist at the moment , which would require huge amounts of cobalt. This would also be required for vehicle batteries and everything else as well
There are only three places on Earth where cobalt has been found. China , Congo and Australia .
Which effectively means there is only one reliable supplier and Australia can't supply everyone.
The other problem is how to get it to the battery manufacturer. That has got to be by sea and unless you are going to use sailing ships , diesel engines are required.
Once it gets to the manufacturing Country the only way to transport it because of the weight and distances involved is by diesel power.
Oh and heat pumps for houses don't work when you need a lot of heat in cold weather and never will because of the physics.
At last someone in the eco movement who actually talked sense.

edradour likes this post

Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 am

Wow! Was that part of your application for a PR job at the Hartlepool reactor? You have the job!

It's true that some high profile environmentalists Lovelock, Monbiot) have suggested that we're stuck with nuclear if we're to keep the lights on – simply because those in power have left it too late to develop and invest in the alternatives. And it's true that the competition for minerals to make batteries looks pretty destructive. But neither is the whole story.

How can you dismiss the possibilities of energy storage without even mentioning the hydrogen economy that you and your MP and your mayor have been talking up so excitedly in the last month? Let alone such methods as tidal lagoons and pumped storage. Or, for that matter, the ultimate in energy storage – avoiding using it in such quantities, leaving it for later.

Kalliopi likes this post

Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 2:30 pm

" avoid using it in such quantities "

Mud huts and open fires wrapped in animal skins with the family cow sharing the space to keep warm
Happy days !
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Does that fantasy haunt you, a1? You keep coming back to it. I'm sure a good therapist could help.

I'd not recommend the open fires or the animal skins, though mud huts do incorporate some good economic and ecological principles. However, I wasn't thinking of any of those things when I suggested limiting our energy use.

A simple one would be the government 'Green Grants Scheme' - except they've just abandoned it after throwing money at a US 'manager' who messed the whole thing up, leaving loads of people (including me) set back months in their plans to 'green' their lifestyle. Or we could do intelligent development planning, so that there were better options for residents than having two or three cars for every household.

I could go on (and yes, sometimes I do)
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Please do go on Peter because people who happen to have three or more cars in the household would be very interested . I feel a green banning order coming on for the number of vehicles per household. A maximum temperature in the house. Lights out at 10pm. No electric vacuums etc etc.

Get real Peter we have what we have at the moment and in the future we will get more. Windmills and tidal lagoons will not even make a dent on the amount of power which will be required.
Back to top Go down
redpete

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 12:32 pm

I was listening to a guy on the radio who drives a Humvee as his main vehicle.
For those who don't know it's the big American Army vehicle and does about 12 miles to the gallon.
He was asked does he not feel guilty about the damage it is doing to the environment?
His reply was do you have any children? the reply was Yes. I haven't he said and overpopulation, that's the real problem, not my car.
He sort of has a point.
Back to top Go down
Peter Goodwin
Peter Goodwin

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 pm

The Humvee's probably a compensation for erectile disfunction, then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?   Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic? - Page 41 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Global warming. Is it happening? If so, is it anthropogenic?
Page 41 of 43Go to page : Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Debating Chamber :: Current Affairs-
Jump to: