Redcar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redcar.forumHomeRegisterLog in

What happened to the Royal York Hotel

Go down 
+13
googieb
Kalliopi
fred bloggs
edradour
auguste1
missycustard
Dryzone
pen5
deltaforce
mikeyh
walkinwoman
where's the remote
vmg91
17 posters
AuthorMessage
vmg91

What happened to the Royal York Hotel Empty
PostSubject: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I heard there was a fire years ago, I've searched all over and cant find anything about it or even just about the hotel,
could any one let me know,
Thanks

Nina Kelly likes this post

Back to top Go down
where's the remote
where's the remote

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I found this:

Then in 1970, Four hotel guests were still missing following a fire that destroyed the Hotel York in Redcar.Company director Mr Lawrence Smith of Esher Surrey, who had been visiting Teesside accompanied by his wife Shelia, were reported missing and feared dead. Also missing were Jan Aart Dijs a 45 year old plant manager, and his wife Jean from Haarlem Holland.

The fire was discovered by the night porter Mr Harold Hird in the early hours. He raised the alarm and firefighters rescued 17 guests by ladder from their bedroom windows Others escaped by making makeshift ropes from blankets and sheets.
As the blaze took hold staff worked with police to account for the guests staying overnight in the 29 bedroomed hotel.

One survivor Mr Keith Watson of St Albans described how he had escaped by using a sheet from his bed. He had been awakened by someone hammering on his door. In the corridor he saw people running all over the place, most of them getting clothes on. He put some clothes over his pyjamas and tried to get down the emergency exit but there was too much smoke. So he broke a bedroom window and and tied a sheet to the support.

Others who escaped talked of not hearing a fire alarm and Mr Charles Amer the owner of the £350,000 hotel, confirmed that the hotel
no internal alarm system.

A spokesman for the Home Office said there were no regulations requiring hotels to fit such systems. However a new Bill was going through Parliament requiring hotels to have such alarms in the future.

A week later whilst searching the rubble, firemen came across human remains. They were sent to the Middlesbrough General Hospital for examination by a pathologist. A police spokesman said it was not possible to establish whether the remains were of more than one person.

The York hotel was rebuilt in Coatham Road Redcar in 1971, nd three years ago was sold by the Amer organisation to Coast and Country Hotels. It was renamed the Regency Hotel and added to the companies chain which includes The Park Hotel Redcar. Croft Spa Darlignton, The Marine Hotel Seaton Carew, and Park Head in county Durham. The chairman of the group is Yarm businessman Mr Malcolm McKee

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
walkinwoman
walkinwoman

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I recall the fire very well, my Brother was in there at a company party when it went up in flames, I think it was the early 70's, but might be a bit off with the year

Back to top Go down
walkinwoman
walkinwoman

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 6:19 pm

I had just found the same piece and was about to cut & paste it smile

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I remember that. It was after a shipping company company function at the hotel. (Blue Line - or something like?) I recall it it was their executives and wives that perished having decided to take the lift down to the ground floor when they tried to escape the smoke. Was it their company's Christmas do? I cannot recall the exact date.
Quite right. The fire safety regulations were changed very soon after this event.
Police Chief Inspector Cyril Blackwell headed the enquiry for the coroner and that coroner made those recommendations.
Harold,the night porter, a dapper guy who was a really nice bloke, but was ruined after the event. That said, no blame rested with him, whatsoever.
Some may remember Harold. Mitsy, his wife, was the cashier at the Starlight Club on the seafront.
Digressing. Gerry, the co-owner of the club, in the period, had a Ford Mustang parked outside and had the first digital LCD watch I ever saw. Flash git! Many happy hours and memories spent in their company!
Insurance payed for the rebuild of the hotel, (it totally collapsed to the ground as a result of the fire), this time with a fire alarm system. Correct, the hotel was later sold off.
I later heard from some of those employees who worked there over night, after the rebuild, that they always sensed a presence in some parts of the building. Histeria or anticipation borne of the event ... perhaps.

Back to top Go down
walkinwoman
walkinwoman

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:56 pm

mikeyh It was Bell Line's company function

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 8:20 pm

walkinwoman.
I have no doubt that you are right. Thank you. What was the date of the fire? I note your location. CA! A Spa town.
What is your history and interest with good old Redcar?
Back to top Go down
deltaforce

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 pm

the fire was on 22nd December, 1970 so was probably a xmas function
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
walkinwoman
walkinwoman

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 pm

mikeyh, husband born and raised there, I grew up there, married at St. Peter's. Lots of friends still there, Brother now lives in Yarm but used to be one of those "reprobates" that hung out at the Top Deck rofl
Back to top Go down
pen5
pen5

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 pm

deltaforce, isnt that photo a post fire shot?
Back to top Go down
Dryzone
Dryzone

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Most definately post fire! specs Look at the cars!
Back to top Go down
missycustard
missycustard

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Yep, it looked like that when my Mum worked there in the 80's smile
Back to top Go down
auguste1
auguste1

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Bad news all round for you today Mikeyh.
This is the York Hotel now,the frontage is shown abutting Coatham Road.
Back to top Go down
edradour
edradour

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Is this the place you all mean when it eventually closed. Its good quiz question. Do not be caught out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcar.org
vmg91

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Thank you for the replies, does anyone know where I can find a picture of what the hotel looked like and where i can find out any more information, I am doing a research project on the history of redcar and cant find anything on it.

Back to top Go down
fred bloggs
fred bloggs

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 am

Crikey £450 per month for a 2 bed flat and quite a nice looking new on at that. I pay more for that for my daughter to rent a room in a flat in a Halls of Residence, which is partuiculalry grim.
Back to top Go down
Kalliopi
Admin
Kalliopi

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

vmg91 there is the one on this thread that deltaforce put on. I expect you mean pre-the fire?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those that matter don't mind. And those that mind don't matter.
Back to top Go down
vmg91

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Yes, I would like to see what it originally looked like, before the fire as in the article It said it was worth £350,000 and it 1970 that was an awful lot of money, however I've looked everywhere and can't find one.

Back to top Go down
googieb
googieb

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I remember that morning very clearly, I was on the bus going to work at ICI Davies work and it went up Mersey Road and then turned onto Corporation road. It was still dark and I could see the glow in the sky, didn't click what was going on until I got to work and heard the news.

I didn't realise 4 people perished, I thought only 1 died.

Back to top Go down
JCB
JCB

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 am

Went to see the smouldering ruin in the morning, looked like it had been hit by high explosive bomb , front had all collapsed. My parents friends lived nearby and had tried to put ladders up to windows but it was hopeless apparently.

Back to top Go down
Nina Kelly

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 3:42 pm

I realise this is a very old thread but my parents were two of the four people who died in that fire at the York Hotel in 1970. I am planning a trip up there shortly as part of an autobiography that I am writing. i would love to meet up with anyone who has any connection with the hotel. Also, I am planning to stay in a hotel in Redcar - so any recommendations welcome. My parents were Lawrence and Sheila Smith. Thank you Nina
Back to top Go down
Kalliopi
Admin
Kalliopi

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Oh Nina, how awful for you, so sad to lose your parents in that way sad  Redcar doesn't really have much in the way of hotels. There is the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] link

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those that matter don't mind. And those that mind don't matter.

NinaSK likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sydroth

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2021 8:54 pm

There is also The Claxton Hotel. Just a little further along the High Street towards the town.

NinaSK likes this post

Back to top Go down
dozza
dozza

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 6:13 am

Don’t forget ogradys
Back to top Go down
JCB
JCB

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Surprised how little there is on net about this awful fire ,Redcars worst as far as I know.
There were questions asked in parliament about it.

This 2019 article from gazette shows what a terrible fire it was with scenes reminiscent of the wartime blitz.
At the time Redcar had an ex Green Goddess fire engine which was used to pump water all the way from the boating lake to supplement the mains.

NinaSK likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happened to the Royal York Hotel   What happened to the Royal York Hotel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What happened to the Royal York Hotel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Redcar Forum :: Entertainment :: Pubs, Clubs & Live bands-
Jump to: